Pages

Monday 25 February 2013

It's All Just Good Conversation

If it wasn't for music I probably wouldn't have any friends... seriously.

Every relationship I have revolves around music and over the years I've developed a network of friends  who all have an incredible talent or a high level of expertise in their own niche within the music industry. I don't think I meant to do this and it certainly hasn't been a calculated thing but I have kept in touch with very few friends who weren't useful to me musically.



It sounds like a cold or horrible thing to admit but all of my best mates are the ones I "work" with most either recording their music, writing songs or performing with them. One of my best friends who I talk to on almost a daily basis is my songwriting partner and co-founder of XS7Music and although I love him immensely as a person, if he wasn't such a talented writer I probably wouldn't even be in touch with him at all.

I came to this realisation last night when another one of my closest friends came over to my flat after an intense weekend to wind down, chat and drink whisky. We spent most of the evening sharing new artists we had discovered and depleting my single malt collection and for me, this is the only kind of conversation that is acceptable and interesting to me. Everything else can seem like hard work.

These are the types of conversations I have on a daily basis with highly passionate people about a highly passionate and diverse industry. I've had friends call me and keep me on the phone for an hour or so just to talk about a musician they've found and I'm constantly outstaying my welcome because the person I'm speaking to absolutely must hear and see every video released by an artist I've just discovered.

Maybe I am highly calculated on some level and dismiss friends who I don't feel are useful, or maybe (and I hope that this is actually the case) I just like passionate people who I can talk to for hours about an industry I have given my entire life to.